Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A love of books!

As we home school together, a lot of our education comes through books. We love reading out loud together, and Justin and I love to snuggle in bed together and read our own books next to each other as well. We've had many a late night reading fests!

This month we are reading together, The Swiss Family Robinson by Wyss, which we LOVE!

Justin is an amazing reader. This month I actually recorded all the books he read (aside from school reading)...
  • Follow My Leader / Garfield
  • McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm/ Fleishchman
  • The Toothpaste Millionaire / Merrill
  • The Whipping Boy/ Fleischman
  • Lumber Camp Library/
  • Box Car Children / Warner
  • 3rd Grade Detective: Cobweb Confession
  • The Story of Benjamin Franklin
  • MTH/MM The Night of the New Magicians/ Osborne
  • MTH Buffalo before Breakfast/ Osborne
  • MTH Tonight on the Titanic / Osborne
  • Little House on Rocky Ridge / MacBride
  • MSB: Dinosaur Detective
  • MSB: Twister Trouble
  • MSB: Wild Whale Watch
  • BCC: Pizza Mystery/ Warner
  • Pippi Longstocking / Lindgren
  • Pippi on the Run / Lindgren
  • Pippi in the South Seas / Lindgren
  • BCC: The Amusement Park Mystery / Warner
  • BCC: The Mystery at snowflake Inn / Warner
  • MSB: Spins a Web, Out of this World, Shows and Tells, Gets all Dried Up, Meets the Rot Squad, Gets Eaten, Inside Ralphie, Wet all Over, Plants Seeds
As you can see, Justin still loves the Boxcar Children Series, Magic School Bus, and Magic Tree House (which he has had for years and re-reads the books all the time). There are 115 books in the Boxcar Children Series and he is well over half to finish reading them all. His favorite book from this bunch is McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm which he has read twice so far this month.

Justin was tested in literacy last month, and his teacher said she's never seen anyone test that high in the 2nd or 3rd Grade before. He does read very fast, but what I really love, is that Justin loves to read and to learn.

Quite honestly, I wish I could have a "Has Read" list as long as his!!!! I'm envious!

5 comments:

Larin Cummings said...

Oooh! I love Justin!! What an amazing boy:) Caleb loves seeing what your family is up to when we look at your blog, and I know he is inspired by Justin even though they don't see each other much:) I know he looks up to him.

Kris said...

Voracious, Ravenous, Gluttonous, Rapacious Reader---Justin

He will pass us all soon.
Maybe he will do what Craig did when he was young and read the encyclopedia!

Nielsen Family said...

Very sweet. JaNae, I've been thinking of you & hope you are feeling well! Please take good care!

Joanna said...

Are there any books left in the library that you haven't read, Justin? Hey I have a great idea. While I lounge in the garden listening to the songbirds, you can read to me when you come, OK?

Kris said...

It is time for a new post sweetie! I miss you and your family.