Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Canning up a storm

Our family has been working hard trying to preserve the food that is plentiful right now. We've canned salsa, peaches, applesauce, blackberry & plum jam, and tomatoes. We've frozen peaches, apricots, tomatoes, and pesto, and have dried tomatoes and fruit leathers. It IS A LOT of work, but oh, so satisfying. I think canned peaches and plum jam are so pretty to look at.

In the picture below, we are de-stemming basil for pesto while listening to Max retell the story of the First Vision. It was a great FHE!
Justin had the task of cleaning fruit leather trays and watching Noah. This is how he accomplished his tasks....so clever!
Justin and Max have been critical helpers to all our ventures. Max cut most of the tomatoes we dried....and there were a lot!!! My favorite was when he was turning the wheel of the applesauce machine (having worked hard for a good hour at it) said to me, "This is for my applesauce badge!" Oh, he is so funny. Badges were on his mind after attending Justin's pack meeting the other night.

1 comment:

Maxine said...

I'm so proud of you and all your hard work. I agree with you, there is NOTHING more satisfying or gorgeous than the bottled product cooling on the cupboard. I kinda miss canning and so glad you are doing it.