Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Looking for Lomatium

This was the funnest morning ever. I wish every morning could start out this way. I have been taking an herbal class from Linda Bromgard (she's the BEST!).
A couple of us expressed a desire to scavenge our own herbs so we would be able to recognize, harvest and use herbs in the wild. So we began this morning looking for Lomatium.

We (Linda, Carrie Andelin and her 2 boys, and Tia Andelin--LOVE the Andelins!!!!) drove to the spot where normal vehicles go, and then all crammed in Linda's Italian mini truck to drive the off roads to the creek where the Lomatium grow. What a blast. I so want one of these little trucks!!!!
We could only go so far in little Italiano, and then we hiked the rest of the way. It was absolutely beautiful and smelled like freshly grated sage.

After a bit of hiking, we found our spot. This is what we found...
This is what it looks like when it flowers...
And here is a little about Lomatium
This is what the root (the part you use) looks like...
Justin digging it up like a pro!
And our return to base...

3 comments:

Nielsen Family said...

What a great adventure! Wow, I didn't know it was such a great little plant! Miss you guys & hope you are all well!

Jo Romero said...

wow, how fun! we need to move closer! I want to come! so so fun! we have tried to get a hold of you guys! I will keep trying but it may be easier for you to call me ;) love ya oh and I have some stuff from char for you! are you coming this way for the holidays?

carrie @ the boonie life said...

That was so fun. I was a teeeny bit nervous going down that steep hill in that little truck, were you? We need to stuff like that more often. (Linda rocks!)