Monday, February 22, 2010

Great Harvest Tour

Today our little home school group went to GREAT HARVEST BAKERY and had a tour and a bread making lesson. The Owner, Will Wood (A great guy...so good with the kids), is explaining the five ingredients they use for bread...wheat, water, honey, yeast and salt. He says, their secret recipe isn't the ingredients, but rather the process of making it. They control to the very degree the temperature and humidity...and timing is crucial.

They make batches of 86 loaves at a time and weigh each loaf to make sure each is the same amount. They hand form and cook many of their loaves.
This is their monster oven which has 13 rotating shelves (each can hold three cookie sheets). That's a big oven! It reminded Justin of a Ferris wheel...a bread Ferris wheel of sorts!I think Max was thinking this would be a good place for a nice warm bath and most likely Justin was thinking, "this is a great cup to hold my hot chocolate!"

I thought I had the heavy duty Kitchen aide mixer, but I was absolutely wrong. Look at the size of this 40 lb bread kneader that fits snugly on THEIR king of kings Mixer!!!!

And once again, I am out done on my wheat grinder! They grind their grain daily... I forgot how many pounds each day, but it is a lot.
After our tour we played some table games and waited to feast on some fresh made bread.
Thanks to Will and Great Harvest Bakery for a great experience.

1 comment:

sixmoores said...

Great field trip idea.