Saturday, August 9, 2008

Idaho Natural History Museum

We spent NOT NEAR ENOUGH time in this museum consisting of animals and artifacts that Nathan's Father's Uncle (I think that's the relation) has mostly himself discovered, hunted, collected, etc. I saw every animal there I knew existed and a few I didn't know existed. For example...a TWO HEADED LAMB (Can you find it?).
These few pictures only give a SMALL glimpse of what we saw. The museum is extensive and simply amazing. You could easily spend days there. It was fascinating.

My favorite was an art piece (I don't have a picture, but I loved it)... the head of an Indian chief made out of arrow heads. Justin's favorite was the humongous alligator and the wild boars. Geoff especially liked the big "scary" bears and the bobcats with their eyes bulging out (I think a taxidermy blunder).

This relative of Nathan's, Richard, collects everything, so it seems. Right now he is in Africa hunting some six or seven exotic animals to add to his collection. I was sad we missed him, as Laura tells me he is so fun and has some amazing stories. We'll have to go back.

This is what you see when you drive up. Richard and family/friends have carved faces into these large lava rocks-- there were tons of them lining the road. Very creative. I loved it.

We spent most of the day with the big Olsen clan and loved it. Thanks guys! We love you.

1 comment:

Mika said...

I love the two headed lamb, and the lava rock faces! It looks like a very fun and odd place to visit. :)