Saturday, August 30, 2008

Susan

We received an email today from my cousin Susan informing us that the doctors have found in her several brain tumors. She has been years in and out of radiation and chemotherapy for breast cancer. This is quite a shock and such a devastating analysis. Susan is the same age as I am, and has a wonderful husband and 3 sweet adorable girls. Susan is beautiful in every way. She is so optimistic and elevates everyone in her company. If you didn't know her situation, you'd never guess it.
I never do great with news like this as it pulls at my heart strings in the strongest fashion.

Justin and I were talking about Susan's diagnosis, and what she must endure again. I asked him what he would do if I received the same diagnosis. He said, "Mom, the most important thing in life is not when or if you're going to die, but that you live a good life. Having Legos doesn't even matter. Just living a good life."

Amazing how children are able to put things into perspective for us adults. I love Justin. His heart is empathetic and he understands heartache. But he also has a very amazing eternal perspective.

We will be fasting for Susan and her family tomorrow. We love them so much.

4 comments:

Maxine said...

Justin, you are wise beyond your years! I am proud of you. Janae, I hope you send his comment to Susan, it would touch her heart.

Maxine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mika said...

Oh I am really sorry to hear about this. Are they hopeful that they will be able to get the tumors out, or under control?

We will keep her in our thoughts.

Nielsen Family said...

So sorry to hear about your cousin's situation. We'll be thinking of your family & keeping them in our prayers. Justin is a great kid--I love hearing how your family interacts.