Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday Family Night

We've decided to have the lesson portion of our Family Night on Sunday's since it's a great Sunday activity that we can really focus on and then have more time to play on Monday Night.

Tonight, Justin gave a stellar lesson about how to gain a testimony.
Before FHE began, he wrote the word testimony on a piece of paper and hid it some where in the family room. To begin his lesson, he explained that there are 5 things we need to do to gain a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ (based on Dallin H. Oaks talk from Conference). 1. Desire to get a testimony, 2. Ask God in prayer to help you get and strengthen one, 3. ACT, 4. Share/bear it, and 5. Take the sacrament each week.

Then he asked if I wanted a testimony. I said, "yes". He said, "okay, you know what to do, and now that we know you want one, you gotta find it. I'll give you clues to find your "testimony" that I've hidden."

Eventually, as I followed his clues, I found his TESTIMONY piece of paper. He explained, "This is just like gaining a testimony of the gospel. After you decided you wanted to find a testimony, you watched for my clues which is just like listening to Heavenly Father tell you how to gain a testimony. Then you went and looked, which is just what you needed to do to ACT. It's like trying to catch a ball. (He then showed us a picture he drew to illustrate his point)
You can't just stand there, you've got to jump up and stretch your arm and catch it. You've got to DO something. If you just sat there on the floor, you would have never found the testimony."

Justin shared his sweet testimony with us and challenged us to do 3 things this week to strengthen our testimony.

These moments are so special. Justin is an amazing young man. His testimony seems to grow by leaps and bounds.

6 comments:

Maxine said...

Great job Justin!!! I wish you were close enough to come and have FHE with me, I could use your good lessons.

Mika said...

What a creative lesson!

sixmoores said...

Great idea to do Sunday night....love that.

Sean and Janet Eyring said...

"wow"...that's all I can say!

Nielsen Family said...

Amazing! What a great lesson, Justin! I'm so impressed with the clarity & how complete it was!!

Kris said...

Justin, I love your lesson. I wish you could come to our house and give us the lesson too!