Sunday, January 27, 2008

Passing of Gordon B. Hinckley

Our dear Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, passed away this evening. I can't really imagine Leadership in the church without him there, and I tear up everytime I think of the reality that he has passed on. I especially loved President Hinckleys optimistic attitude, his quick whit & sense of humor, and his ability to inspire the masses with cheerful encouragement of the fundamentals. In this very complex world we live in, President Hinckley simplified things beautifully--you could never feel overwhelmed, only inspired to try harder, do better, keep going. I have looked forward with each conference to seeing him cheerfully & humorously lead the sessions, and especially to recieving his divine directives. I have lived a much fuller life from following his counsel. I love him dearly, cherish his leadership, and will truly miss him. Without doubt, I know he was a prophet of God, raised up for the very purpose of his calling of Prophet, Seer & Revelator.

One of my favorite passages of counsel from President Hinckley given in 1995 & 2005 General Conference:

Now my brethren and sisters, the time has come for us to:

· Stand a little taller, to lift our eyes and stretch our minds to a greater comprehension and understanding of the grand millennial MISSION OF THIS CHURCH.

· This is a season t be STRONG. It is a time to move forward without hesitation, knowing well the meaning, the breadth, and the importance of OUR MISSION.

· It is a time to DO WHAT IS RIGHT regardless of the consequences that might follow.

· It is a season to REACH OUT with kindness and love to those in distress and to those who are wondering in darkness and pain.

· It is a time to be CONSIDERATE and GOOD, decent and courteous toward one another in ALL our relationships.

· In other words, It is a time to become more CHRISTLIKE.

1 comment:

Kris said...

We are sad too. But, so happy for him How wonderful to be with his wife.