Sunday, April 13, 2008

Farewell for a Time

In Memory of
Josephine Brinckloe
Today we recieved some unfortunate but relieving news.
My grandmother passed away today at home in Carmel, CA after a fulfilling and rewarding life. Almost all her children including my mom were there with her singing songs at her bedside. She joins Grandaddy, Oakley, Jacob and everyone else for a nice reunion. As Neil A Maxwell puts it, "Death is a mere comma, not an exclamation point!" Wish I could be there - but not bad enough.

We are fortunate to have lived fairly close for several years and visited pretty regularly. We have tons of great memories of visiting my grandparents - even down to the smell of the bushes in their yard - it's funny how those things stick with you. They lived life to its fullest - sailing on the east coast, golfing on the west coast - never a dull moment. (Geoff)

(JaNae adds) I didn't know "Grandmommy" very long, but we were kindred spirits from the get go. I loved and adored her and have counted it one of my greatest blessings to know her and learn from her and be loved by her. Josephine was a very classy lady! She always looked like a million dollars, and infact, I have never seen her without makeup on, hair done, and dressed as though ready to meet the President himself. Grandmommy was always so happy, energetic and amazingly encouraging. After spending time with her, I always came away feeling like I could conquer the world, or at least my little household. She loved being a wife and a mother, and was charming and diligent with both. I have loved her for this example. She will forever form a vivid picture in my mind of how I want to be. I will miss her sorely! I find comfort in thinking that Oakley and Jacob get to be with her now, not to mention Granddaddy! I guess it's only fair.

2 comments:

Nielsen Family said...

Wow, they look so happy with each other in those pictures--what a priceless gift! I can just see love exuding from both of them, like it does with you, too! Our best to you & your family.

Joanna said...

It was a beautiful experience being at her bedside with my siblings during her last weeks. We sang to her - and she sang to us! They were devoted, wonderful parents who taught us we could be successful at anything we desired, and showed by example how to serve others and have joy in life!