Saturday, September 13, 2008

Woolly Wisdom

This morning we went to The Trailing of Sheep event at the Boise Foothills Learning Center. I can't say that sheep are normally that intriguing for me, but this was a very fun and interesting morning!

I've discovered a new hobby and can't wait to start (and I'm serious!). These are Angora rabbits (so cute!). The lady in the picture raises them and has had as many as 74 at a time. She raises them for their hair, which has amazing properties. It is 7 times warmer than wool, and not irritating to your skin. We admired all the clothing she has made from her own rabbits and it is the softest and coziest yarn I've ever felt! She is very talented.

I told Geoff as soon as we got home, that I want to get a "spinner" and some rabbits as soon as we have our own home! I even signed up for a class to learn how to do it. I LOVE stuff like this.

We then went down into a pasture where they had demonstrations on sheep herding. They showed us how they communicate with the sheep herding dog, so he will do exactly what they desire. These dogs are so athletic and so intelligent. I never realized how much was involved in training them. This was very fun to watch.

Here we have the sheering of the sheep...before, during, and after pictures. After this man sheered his lamb, Max ran over and tried to put the wool back on the lamb...it just wouldn't stick. It was cute.
Well, we all know a little bit more about sheep and enjoyed a beautiful morning outside with good friends. They best way to start a Saturday!

I love when I find good learning activities that don't cost. This was such an event, until of course I got pulled over for speeding. This darn activity ended up costing us $140.00. Ouch...I am so mad at myself!

4 comments:

Jo Romero said...

I really wish we could do this stuff together! How fun! I love sheep! I think it would be really cool to herd them! Can't wait to see you all! Abraham and Sam are counting the days! Is Geoff coming this time?

Mika said...

I love angora rabbits, they are so soft and fluffy! I hope that you really do raise them someday. :)

Sean and Janet Eyring said...

Can't wait to see your first Angora Rabbit Wool clothing line! I'm thinking long-johns...

Kris said...

Go JaNae! How fun (ya right)to raise your own yarn and then weave or knit it in all that spare time you have. Do I sound like a sour puss? Sorry, if you do it it will be wonderful...just sounds hard to me.
When I was a girl the teenagers used angora yarn to wrap around the ring their big strong boyfriends gave them so the ring would fit on their finger.
I could do that! But, make clothes...ummmm?