Friday, March 14, 2008

Place mats for Seniors

Today our little co-op group of four talked about how special it is to have a family. Each shared a meal time tradition they do in their home and some of the foods they eat. Then I asked them what it would be like to always eat alone. They didn't think it would be too much fun. So they each thought of a person they knew that is currently living alone, and we made a place mat for them, so each time they sit down to eat, they will know they are cared for and loved.

Somewhere on the place mat was their picture and this poem we made up:
Every time you sit to eat
This for you will be a treat
Look upon this mat to know,
You are loved and cherished so!

We also made a perler bead coaster to go with the place mat. Here is Justin's place mat and coaster which he immediately took over to Karen's home. She LOVED it, and we LOVED giving it to her!

2 comments:

Maxine said...

Justin:
You did a GREAT job!!

I bet Karen can hardly wait to eat each meal just so she can think of you and know that she has a special friend.

I am proud of you!

Love Grandma

Sean and Janet Eyring said...

My boys have recently become obsessed with the perler beads. Do you have the problem of clean-up like we do? I have found that when they say they have "cleaned it all up" then all I have to do is walk around the room in my stocking feet, and I find a whole bunch on the floor that they missed!