Thursday, March 6, 2008

Rocket Booster and Space Star

In home school, Justin and I do a "thinking" activity each day. These last activities have centered around Robert Frost's poem, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening. We had memorized 2 of the stanzas and were working on the 3rd. I told Justin that he could win a bonus 5 minutes if he could learn the fourth today as well as the 3rd. Without even looking at the poem, he recited the entire poem to me. I couldn't believe it. I asked him if he secretly learned it, and he said he didn't-- he just accidentally learned it. His capacity for learning and remembering amazes me!

So I gave him 10 minutes instead of 5. The minutes are a reward system I use when Justin does well with his work. He earns minutes that he can do something fun he'd like to do with Geoff or I or his friends. For example today he choose to build a Rocket Booster--a project he's been wanting to do for quite a while. So Geoff took him to home depot and got the pipes and stuff they needed for the project.
This "booster" can shoot the rocket over a four story building. It's really pretty neat!!! Justin was very excited!!! Even just by blowing in a single pipe you can send the rocket flying powerfully through the house as illustrated in the picture below.
Justin named his rocket, Space Star.

1 comment:

sixmoores said...

That thing is incredible. How about his brain. I am amazed!