Sunday, March 30, 2008

Here's to all my Herbert's!

I have finally finished reading the Novel, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. What a fabulous book- I loved it! In fact, I find myself thinking about the characters all the time. Many believe this novel to have a message of the destructive nature of wealth, the tragedy of betrayal, or the cankering effects of seeking revenge. While this may be so, I found these themes minute in comparison to the message of the beauty and elevating effects of friendship, loyalty and love. Specifically Pip is fortunate to have several meaningful relationships, one of whom is his dear friend Herbert. Herbert has no incentive to befriend Pip, but sincerely cares for him and is loyal to him from beginning to end, when Pip is at his best as well as his worst. Herbert has significant influence on Pip, and I believe is a big reason for Pip's happiness and success.

I've spent a lot of time reflecting on the many HERBERTs I've been blessed with in my life. I am fortunate enough to have family who are especially dear friends, and friends who are as though they were family! I know much of the happiness and success I experience is directly related to my dear dear "friends" who have loved me at my worst and best, from the beginning to the end. How blessed I've been and how grateful I am.

No comments: