Monday, March 10, 2008

Scripture Study in the Garage

Last week, when I was at LeiLani's house in Utah, we went for a walk with babies in our strollers and drove through a patch of thorny weeds. My wheels got totally infested with 'goat head' thorns and the vines got jammed into the wheel bearings. Max's ride there after was similar to that of riding in a Jeep on a rocky dirt road in Africa, potholes included. Upon returning from our trip, I tossed the stroller in the garage thinking to my self, "Finally, I have valid justification for a new stroller!" I was actually even excited at the thought.
WELL, this morning we were about to begin scripture study and couldn't find dad. Eventually, and to my horror, we found him in the garage with tweezers and pliers in hand performing surgery on the wheels of our beloved stroller. I knew immediately that my dreams of a new stroller would never be realized. So, I did the only right thing I could do... I brought the kids outside and there assembled together in the garage for scripture study and we read 2 Nephi 28 as dad monotonously pulled out every last goat head, and untangled and discarded every last vine. As we read about the Nephites who were consumed with pride and "considered not the poor"--I couldn't help but feel grateful for a wise, frugal, and humble husband. President HInckley's quote fits him to a T!..."Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without." I really want to have an attitude more like this and be more thrify and wise...Geoff is such a great example of this. What a blessing to our family!









1 comment:

leilani said...

Nae....Just wanted to say thanks for your time and care while here at our home... It is always nice to have you and your thoughtful to take the time and spend it with us. How lucky are we!!!! your blog is so fun and I hope to find a cord for our camera soon so I can ge rolling on ours! love ya tons! Lani