Thursday, February 14, 2008

Value based Schooling

Each month as part of school, we focus on a VALUE. This month we have been learning about COURAGE. Much of what we do in school each month centers around the value we are studying. For example, in scripture study we'll read about people who showed courage. As a part of literature, we'll memorize and write a poem about courage. The books we read are based on courage themes, etc. We have a value board that we add pictures to as we learn about the value. You can see what we have talked about so far, The Little Engine that could, Peter on the Water, The Savior's atonement/Crucifiction (added this morning), the book Twenty and Ten, and the poem Try, Try Again.

Tis a lesson you should heed
Try, Try Again
If at first you don't succeed
Try Try Again.
Then your courage should appear,
For if you will persevere,
You will conquer, never fear.
Try, Try again.

This morning, as I was putting Max down, I asked Justin to choose a hero from the scriptures who showed a lot of courage. As I fed Max, I thought of Nephi getting the plates & building a ship. I thought of Ammon guarding the sheep, and the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's as they knelt down before the Lamanites to keep their covenants.
When I went downstairs, I asked Justin what story he choose to read. He choose the Crucifiction. He said, "Mom, It took a lot of courage to be crucified." Again, I am taught and humbled by my 6 year old son! We had such a sweet discussion about the Savior's courage.

No comments: